Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Week 10 My art work this quarter


Untitled

Most of my work has some sort of landscape and space set in reality. This quarter I have been focusing on using texture and organic shapes to create drawings that will express how we see the world and interact with it. For example in this piece the landscape in the background becomes broken into segments. Because of the form in the fore ground with its abstract central form the potential issues are hidden.

Although I have a primary interest in existing sceneries is driven by a desire to record the world as realistically as possible I find myself attracted to modern art. It is works like Aaron Douglas’s ‘Aspects of Negro Life: From Slavery Through Reconstruction’ (pg. 1064 Stokstad) that attract me the most. The use of color, texture, shape and form in his work reminds me of this layering affect in breaking up the overall form in segments that are one overall.
Aaron Douglas’s ‘Aspects of Negro Life: From Slavery Through Reconstruction’
Each space in this work is leading into another making his work a cohesive peace. It is overall a portion of reality mixed with a fantasy of the ease that would be created by the artist to “commemorate the Emancipation Proclamation of 1863”(pg. 1064 Stokstad).  This painting is both a commentary on a huge social change in the United States but it is also work of fantasy.

While his work was speaking to the thought pattern and jubilation that would have accompanied a political and social struggle, my work is just being to try to speak to how we need to observe and respect the natural world.  Color is a huge step for me in art and something that I am working on. I really appreciate how the warm colors of Douglas’ work bring the piece together while representing the feeling being expressed by the figures. We the viewer sees them dancing and playing music. From left to right they are marching from slavery to freedom, although the figures are layered in color making the figures seem to be fading into the past.

You can see the world in its entirety at work as a whole in Douglas’s painting. In my drawing you can see that parts of the world is exposed while others are forever hidden.  This is because although we can see the world as a whole in our daily lives we rarely if ever deal with it all at once.  The world is too big to do that. That does not mean that we should not try.

It is a modern thought that we should treat nature with the respect it deserves and learn to look at it in a new light. Nature and man both deserve freedom. For man freedom has come and is celebrated while for nature that time has yet to come.

3 comments:

  1. I think that Douglas' piece has a little bit of a geometric feel, especially with the yellow concentric circles included in the composition. In that sense, I can also see how this type of art relates to the piece that you included at the beginning of your post. Both pieces have an interest in shapes and geometric forms.

    -Prof. Bowen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked how your piece appears to have windows and through the windows you grasp onto another image as you related to the Douglas piece. The colors really add to the dramatic in his piece and I'm curious what yours would say if it were in color.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both works also have a lovely sense of movement in them. I think I have seen this other work previously in person and didn't notice the landscape effect until I saw it posted here. I like that effect you give to it.
    Douglas's work, while warm, is also dark, the darker undertones allowing the viewer to remember the trauma and pain suffered by African Americans throughout history and even still today.

    ReplyDelete